Le Carmel

|   Monument  |  

11 rue Serpente
09100 Pamiers


The monastery of the Carmelites of Pamiers is a building located in the town of Pamiers in the Occitanie region of France. The first Carmelites arrived in Pamiers on 29 June 1648. The construction of the chapel began in 1704 and took more than a century due to lack of funds. It has been admirably maintained by the Carmelite sisters. The church has a traditional plan for the region: a single nave and chapels between the buttresses of the nave. It is accessed from the street by steps. The layout is original, taking up the idea of a mystical ascent, from the entrance to the altar, located at the top of a marble staircase, at cell level.
The monastery closed in 2008 and was added to the list of historical monuments in 2009.

Past exhibitions

Current exhibitions

 Go back     |      Back on the top